Monday, April 4, 2011

Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is used for SOOOOOOOOOO many things.  It is great for your skin and for your health.  It is used in many lotions, soaps, deodorants and shampoos.  It can be combined with all sorts of things for great health and skin.  Lats month I mentioned that I was going to try and post a good use for coconut oil for every day of the month of April.  We were gone this weekend and so I haven't been able to use the internet.  I guess I am a couple of days behind!  Let's get started.

This all started for me when I made me own deodorant.  The recipe calls for coconut oil and once I made what I wanted I had a HUGE thing of coconut oil with nothing else to make with it.  I started researching and was amazed at all of the possibilities.  Since the deodorant was what started this I wanted to share another recipe that calls for it.  I haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.

Homemade Natural Deodorant


3 Tablespoons shea butter
3 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons cocoa butter
2 vitamin E oil gel caps (puncture and squeeze out the oil)
Essential Oil (I used ylang yang and orange)
I melted all the ingredients (except the oils) and gave it a good stir. This only took about 30 seconds in the microwave. Then added the oils, stirred again, and poured it in a jar, then placed it in the fridge to set. This recipe filled the jar in my hand, which is a 1/4 pint.

If you want to read the whole post where I got this click on the link HERE
The above link is to the Blog ANGRY CHICKEN.  If you haven't check out here blog you are missing out!  Lots of great things on there.  She also does the no poo do.  

Stayed tuned tomorrow for another coconut oil use!
If you want a more simple SUPER easy recipe for the deodorant ( my original post about this ) the recipe is as follows

1/3 cup corn starch
1/3 cup baking soda
4 to 6 tablespoons coconut oil

Mix and enjoy!


I'm adding to this post a couple of months later.  I tried this recipe from Angry chicken but modified it to what I had on hand.  It is now my favorite deodorant!


3 Tablespoons shea butter
3 Tablespoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons coconut oil 
2 vitamin E oil gel caps (puncture and squeeze out the oil)
Essential Oil ( I used lavender and tea tree oil ) 

It's magical and has a FABULOUS scent.  Try it and you will NOT be disappointed!!!  

On a side note, I find that if your deodorant is flaking off in large chunks on you, it needs more coconut oil!  That should do the trick!!!

1 comment:

Kim and Ender said...

Have you used your avacado oil by itself? It's pretty awesome. I think I'm gonna use that as a moisturizer from now on.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...