Thursday, April 21, 2011

Coconut Oil day 11

Coconut oil is wonderful!  I think we have established that already.  Today I am going to give you a little more info then I normally do.  This is all coming striaght from the "Gorgeously Green" by Sophie Uliano.  She has several books.  This one is a great started book.  My sister has another one that is a DIY book with all sorts of things.  It is going to be my next purchase!

Any ways.  My coconut oil use for the day is a simple one.  When your kid falls down and gets a boo-boo rub some coconut oil on it!  It has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that are great for scraps, burns and rashes.

Why use coconut oil instead of something like A and D or Nelisporin?  Both have products you do NOT want to use on skin.  Many people do not know this but petroleum jelly is BAD.  Here is what my book says and this is a direct quote from page 24

"MIneral Oils-they coat the skin like plastic, so it cannot breathe.  They can slow down the skin's natural functions and cell development, resulting in premature aging.  Mineral oils can also be contaminated with PAH ( polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon ), which can be carcinogenic.  They come in the form of petroleum distillates, which are human carcinogens that are prohibited in European Union but are found in the United States in many products including mascara. It appears on labels as "petroleum" or "liquid paraffin"'


Um...yeah.  I went around checking all of the creams and things I have around the house for fixing things like scraps, burns, rashes and found mineral oil AND petroleum in all of them.  Not to mention several parabens, fragrance and paraffin!  And we are rubbing this crap on us to HEAL skin.  Gross.  Coconut oil is the answer my people.  So just go buy it already!

1 comment:

Lesley said...

What an amazing coincidence!
My daughter received a dog bit yesterday and I used coconut oil on the wound. I was using topical ointments at first but they were worrying me. Too much petroleum jelly.
I dug through my oils and remembered that coconut oil is a natural anti parasitic! Very important when some random rottweiler decides to treat your child's leg as a chew toy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...