Friday, February 18, 2011

Recipe Week: Day 6

Okay y'all.  Today is a good recipe day.  I just tried this recipe and need to make an adjustment for the next time.  This is a recipe that you can do a lot with and chances are you never even though of making it.  It's chap stick.  :)

I read this recipe on my friend Sarah's blog ( lot's of good stuff on there so check it out )


Chocolate Orange Lip Balm

3-4 Tablespoons Cocoa Butter
3-10 Chocolate Chips
½ tsp Vitamin E Oil
¼ tsp Orange Extract

Melt the cocoa butter in the microwave until it’s a liquid. Measure 3-4 tablespoons into a microwaveable (preferably pourable) cup. I used a pyrex measuring cup. 
Add the chocolate chips and stir to melt.  You may have to microwave the mixture again for the chips to fully melt. Add vitamin E oil and orange extract. Stir to combine and pour mixture into lip balm container(s). 
Place in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes to firm.
I got a little crafty with this old chapstick container. If you do this, make sure to put the container in the freezer for a few minutes before you fill it with hot, melty lip balm. Otherwise, it will leak a little until it firms. 





I tried this recipe but I modified it.  I am a bigger white chocolate person then regular chocolate. I also am not a huge orange person.  SO I used white chocolate and almond flavoring.  I also put a little too much of the vitamin E in it so mine is very oily.  I am going to order some empty chap stick containers.  You can go HERE and find them really cheap.  My dad is a chocoholic and he is also addicted to chap stick.  I told him I would make him some.  I need to get some chocolate so I can make it.  


There are many other versions of chap stick out there.  If you look for your own don't use the ones that are a petroleum based.   The reason being is because it is harmful to you.  If you have never heard of that before look it up.  Here is another one 


HERE  


Check out that web site because she has ALL kinds of cool stuff.  


There were several I found that call for honey but a lot of people say they have problems with it separating so I choose not to try one.  All in all this is a great chance for us for lots of opportunities for riding ourselves of more toxic crap, making things for cheaper, and something that can be made and used as presents that I know MOST people will enjoy.  Who doesn't like chap stick.  On the one blog above she has a recipe for hand made lotion too and I can't WAIT to try that one.  I have to order some stuff before I can because I don't have everything I need for it.  It feels really great to know that you can have some control over what you put into your body and what a difference it can make for your wallet as well. 

1 comment:

Sarah @ Sugar Bananas said...

I never would have thought to do white chocolate with almond. That sounds great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...