Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Recipe Week: Day 3

Before I get started I just wanted you all to know that I changed the recipe from day one SLIGHTLY!  My SIL called me and told me I posted the wrong one but the one she liked was only slightly different but the change has been made.

NOW for what changed my life.  I have been doing the South Beach diet.  Not religiously but when I CAN I DO.  It has made a big difference in the way I eat and the way my body looks.  One of the big things for the South Beach diet is learning what are good carbs and bad carbs.  White usually equals bad carbs.  Like bread.  NO WHITE bread!  I have been trying to find a whole wheat roll recipe but everything I was finding had half white flour and half wheat flour.  The reason for this is because wheat flour cooks really heavy and people usually want nice fluffy bread.  One recipe I found said you can use all wheat flour and get good results but it just wouldn't be as fluffy.  I saved that one but kept on looking.  Then I found a recipe that called for half wheat flour and half WHITE WHEAT FLOUR.

WAIT.....

WHAT?

I had absolutely NEVER heard of white wheat flour.  I totally dismissed this recipe.  I thought white wheat flour was bleached and therefore the same as white flour so there was no point.  Then we were grocery shopping and I saw 100 % white wheat flour UNBLEACHED.  Hmmmmmmm  I decided to go home and look this up on the internet.  I have been forever changed.  SO here is the low down

White wheat flour is made from the albino wheat plant.  It has a lot of the same nutrients as the regular wheat plant so it is a great compromise when cooking.  The awesome part is that it cooks like white flour.  Click here to read more about it.

SOOOOO what does this mean?  All of those bread recipes that call for half wheat flour and half white flour can now be made with the white wheat flour in place of the white flour and still be light and fluffy yet have way more nutrients then the white flour would give it.

Not convinced?  WELL..... I made my husband his favorite cookies for Valentine's day and just to try it out I made two batches. One with white flour and one with the white WHEAT flour.  Guess what?  The white wheat flour made NO difference in the cookie recipe.  YIPEEEEEEEEEE!

I also have tried it in my wheat pizza recipe.  It calls for half white and half wheat flour.  We made it last week with the half white wheat and half wheat and it tasted wonderful!

My recipe for y'all comes from another blog I found which has TONS of wonderful recipes.  It's called the frugal girl and every Wednesday she post a recipe.  I have tried several of them now and have loved every one.  Here is my favorite so far.


Cheddar Twists makes 10 to 18 
3-3.5 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 packages (4 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1.5 teaspoons salt
1.5 cups milk
1.5 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour with the sugar, yeast, and salt. Heat milk to 120 degrees, and add to dry mixture. Beat for 3 minutes. Stir in shredded cheese and enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 3-5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in bowl, cover with a wet tea towel, and let rise in a warm place 1 hour.
Punch dough down, divide into 18 pieces, and roll each piece into a 8-10 inch rope. Fold each rope in half, and twist 2-3 times. Place twists on a greased baking sheet, cover with a wet tea towel, and let rise 20-30 minutes, or until doubled.
Brush twists with melted butter.  ( I take a stick of butter and 1/4 teaspoon of basil, 1/4 teaspoon of oregano and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt )  I also add some cheese on top.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and bake twists 12-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
I brush the tops with more of the melted butter when they come out of the oven.  




* My change to the recipe is the italian flavored butter.  ALSO I cooked these last night but instead of all white flour I used the white wheat flour.  They still turn out amazing.  TRY them and you will thank me.  


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...