Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tank Top to Purse Tutorial

I have a mini tutorial for y'all today. Remember when I told you about the rummage sale at my church where everything was FREE?! Well I got quite a few things that once I got home, didn't fit or I didn't like. That just means I get to use them to make other things right? I found this tank top that when I picked it up I turned to my friend Jen and said, "This would be a cute purse!" Well, it turns out I was right. Here is what it looked like as a shirt



I took the bottom and cut it off




Then I took the part I cut off and cut a rounded bottom out of it.



I then turned the tank top inside out. Mine had a built in bra so I had to cut it out



Now we are gonna pin the rounded piece we cut out to the bottom of the tank top. Just remember you need to make sure you are pinning right sides together. You don't want the wrong side of your fabric on the out side of your bag. I always pin the middle of the fabric FIRST.




Now sew this together. Turn right side out



Now you can be done OR you can take the extra fabric and make some flowers to sew onto the front.




I made this for my daughter because she has been grabbing anything that looks like a purse and trying to pull it over her shoulder and wear it. It is a perfect size and it looks pretty darn cute right?!




BEST part was it was absolutely FREE ( unless you are counting the thread in which case you could say it cost me a couple of cents! )

8 comments:

Twin Inspiration said...

Hey, I found your blog through momma go round. Love the purse. I love to make something old new again. Come check out my blog at www.twininspiration.blogspot.com

Mrs. Sassy Crafter (Fabi) said...

lovely!!!!....Katie how do I contact you? I can't find you email anywhere, I need to ask you something...Thanks!!!!!

Brianna! said...

Well arent you just Mrs. Clever
That is so sooo precious
LOVE IT

xoxo
bB

Bree said...

Found you on Sew Much Ado - this is genius! I love the sequins on the straps/handles!

Terrell said...

This is amazing!!! I never would have thought! Way to go! I would also like to invite you to my link party/giveaway every Friday at FrouFrouDecor! I hope to see you there!
~Terrell @ FFD~girl!!

Unknown said...

Holy cow this is a terrific idea!! How clever are you! I'm excited to have found your great blog through Follow Me Wednesday and look forward to hearing more from a fellow Texan crafter!

kristen duke said...

SO creative! what a great idea!

Lisa said...

Popping in from Nff...Pretty! Great way to reuse something you don't want anymore!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...