Sunday, March 13, 2011

I LOVE it!

Do you ever see something in the store and think, "I know EXACTLY what I want to do with that"? I found a tank top in the dollar section at Target for $2.50 ( you know how they always have some $2.50 stuff in there too ) I picked it up and knew instantly what I wanted to do with it. Here is the tank top.


Cute right?  I am liking the fake necklace shirts that are going around right now.  In fact, I have another one to post but I'll wait until tomorrow.  I wanted to turn this one into a dress for Kayla.  I just thought it would be so cute.  I am happy to report that the vision in my head turned out great in person too!  I have had this project half done for about two weeks now.  It has been KILLING me to not have it finished because I just thought it was so cute and needed to be done and worn.

So here is what I did to it.  I took one of Kayla's dresses and put it up to the tank top and decided where I wanted to cut it off at.  I also needed to figure out how long the arm holes needed to be. This tank top was intended for 8 to 10 year olds or something like that so she needed them to be shortened for her.  I cut off the top of the tank top.



You will notice that I also cut a triangle out of the center.  The reason I did that was so her neck had some room.  With how much I had to cut off of the top, there was no room for her neck.  I wasn't sure how much I liked the openness of the back though so I took some lace and pinned it in placed and sewed it down.



Once that was sewn down I took the tops of the shirt, pinned them and sewed them together to make it a shirt again.

After this was the hard part for me.  I was trying to figure out which fabric to use on the bottom as the ruffle.  I eventually went with an old knit grey shirt I bought when I was pregnant with Tyler.  Yeah it's that old and I never where it any more.  It was in my "discard" pile of clothes that I can repurpose.  I made two ruffles.  I long one and a short one.  The where almost twice and wide as the skirt.  So I pinned them in placed with ruffles.  Oh but before I did this, I zig zagged the bottom of the ruffles while stretching the fabric to make the bottom of the ruffle flair out more.  Want to see the finished project?  I thought you'd never ask...



I was hoping it was going to be as cute on HER as it was on the hanger.  And guess what?  IT WAS





Seriously in love with this!  I can't wait to put it on her when we are actually leaving the house.  :)

3 comments:

Kim and Ender said...

It is sooooo stinking cute!

Mrs. Sassy Crafter (Fabi) said...

omgosh! she looks so cute =)

Unknown said...

Darling. I love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...