Thursday, May 19, 2011

Brazilian Cheese Rolls {Pao de Queijo}

My husband went on a mission for our church in Brazil.  He loves Brazilian food!  The Brazilian BBQ places are SOOOOOO expensive.   I have never gone to one with him, he usually goes by himself.  My brother in law Ender also went to Brazil on his mission, therefore my sister tries to find different Brazilian dishes to make them and then I get to hear which ones are good.  The other day we made Brazilian style steaks.  SUPER easy.  You take your steak and you rub kosher salt ( or any salt you have ) all over it.  Then you drizzle olive oil on it and rub smashed up garlic on it.  Let it marinate for a couple of hours and then grill it.



My husband said that when they would do this in Brazil they would use rock salt and after it was cooked you would gently knock the salt right off of it before you ate it.  I thought this way was good.  My husband just ordered a grill and is SO excited to try this again so we can actually grill it.  We used our tiny little Foreman grill. hee hee

NOW for the WOW recipe.  I didn't take pictures because I was making these in a hurry last night but if you like cheese bread you have to try these.  It's called  Pao de Queijo or you can just say Brazilian Cheese Rolls.  They are SO yummy.  You have to use the ingredients provided though.  Substitutions don't cut it!  You HAVE to use tapioca flour and you HAVE to use canola oil.  My sister used vegetable oil once and they were almost un editable.  So be careful and have fun.  These are super easy and super yummy.  Another MUST do is you have to cook these in a mini muffin tin.  No exceptions.  I got the recipe off of Our Best Bites.  GREAT blog people with tons of ideas and recipes.


Quick Brazilian Cheese Rolls {Pao de Queijo} – Gluten Free!
Recipe by Our Best Bites
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 cup tapioca flour (sometimes labeled tapioca starch) no substitutions
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 C grated cheddar cheese* (preferably medium or sharp)
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
*you can play around with the cheese.  I’ve used Monterey Jack, low-moisture mozarella, swiss, and even gruyere in place of the cheddar.  All great!
Optional:  extra cheese to sprinkle on top and any herbs/flavorings you’d like to add.  Try rosemary and or garlic powder, my favorites!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place egg, milk, oil, tapioca flour, and salt in blender and blend until smooth.  Add cheeses and pulse 2 times.  Immediately pour batter into a mini muffin tin (if your muffin tin isn’t non-stick, spray lightly with non-stick spray first), filling each well about 3/4 full, or just slightly less.  If desired (and I recommend), sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese on top and/or a tiny sprinkle of kosher salt.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden.  Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes before removing rolls from pan.  Serve warm. {Que Gostoso!}  These actually don’t re-heat well so I recommend making and eating fresh.

If you want to see their whole post with pictures and all check it out HERE
You will not be disappointed if you make these!  They are soft and gooey on the inside and crunchy on the outside.  It's fabulous! 

1 comment:

Allison said...

I just made these not too long ago. We (with friends) had south america night. I only got 2, they went so fast. Have you tried chimichurri sauce yet on your steaks? I like the allrecipes wild cow girls (or something like that. We put half parsley and half cilantro in it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...