Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Butter or Margarine?

I have been gaining weight back.  It is not fun.  I go through ups and downs as far as my weight and the way I eat.  I have also been going through weeks of working off and then I get wrapped up in other things and don't work out for weeks.  This has got to end.  Monday my kid starts kindergarten.  My life is going to change.  I have decided that through that forced changed I will make many more.  One being eating better and working out.  So come Monday I am starting up my South Beach diet phase one.  It's tough but it gets your body rid of all the processed sugar.  After two weeks of no carbs you start adding it back but in the form of wheat flour in stead of white.  It's a great diet and the first two weeks are tough but you usually lose between 8 and 12 pounds.  I am hoping to lose at least 8!  We shall see what happens.

I get emails from the south beach diet web site and sometimes they are super informative.  The one they sent today I liked and thought I would repost for everyone.  I am not a fan of margarine and I LOVE butter.  So switching is hard for me.  Especially since I didn't think it was actually better for me.  This email helped.  hope it helps you too.


Which Is Better: Butter or Margarine?

In supermarkets across the country, butter and margarine battle over prime space on dairy shelves in an effort to win over consumers. But which is considered South Beach Diet-friendly?
The answer is trans-fat-free margarine (often labeled as vegetable-oil spread these days). The reason lies in the different types of fats that are contained in butter and margarine. Butter, made from animal fats, is high in artery-clogging saturated fats. Margarine, on the other hand, is made with vegetable oil, so it contains mainly polyunsaturated fat. But don't be deceived! While margarine contains less saturated fat than butter, the hard varieties (like stick margarine) are high in trans fats.
What Are Trans Fats?
Trans fats are manufactured in a process called hydrogenation, in which liquid vegetable oils are transformed into solid fats. They are used in foods like crackers, cookies, and pastries to improve their flavor and texture and to extend their shelf life. Like saturated fats, trans fats can raise LDL ("bad") cholesterol, but trans fats have also been shown to lower levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol. Studies have also shown that trans fats can increase the risk for obesity, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, and cancer. Not surprisingly, trans fats should be considered the worst fats of all and avoided.
The healthiest choice is a trans-fat-free liquid or tub margarine. It’s easy to make an informed decision about buying trans-fat-free products because in January 2006 the Food and Drug Administration required that the trans-fat content of packaged foods be included on the Nutrition Facts panel. The trans-fat number is listed after Total Fat and Saturated Fat, but only if the product contains 0.5 grams or more per serving. So be sure to check for hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oil in the ingredients list to avoid trans fats altogether.
If you've been diagnosed with high cholesterol, you may elect to use one of the cholesterol-lowering vegetable-oil spreads made with phytosterols, also known as plant stanols and sterols. These compounds, found in sources like soybean oils, can help in reducing blood-cholesterol levels when used regularly.

Happy eating everyone! 

2 comments:

*Lauren* said...

Our favorite 'margarine' is "Smart Balance-Light" #1 it tastes good. (which is important) But our biggest thing is that it's non-dairy. VERY FEW margarines are non-dairy believe it or not. Plus, there are NO trans fats in it. Also there are Omega-3s and it claims to support healthy cholesterol levels. We don't feel bad eating it and we're happy that if we cook with it, Bradlie won't be poisoned :) You should check it out. It's been a family favorite for years. My parents and grandparents use it. If you want a heavier taste, don't get the 'light'. I think it's tastier....but it has some dairy in it. It wouldn't matter for you guys though :)

Amanda said...

That is really interesting!! Thanks for the info. I have always wanted to try the South Beach Diet, but I am so afraid because I pretty much live off of carbs (so bad, I know!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...